Monday, June 25, 2007

a house made of straw ...

When I was little my father used to always tell us the story of the three little pigs. First pig, straw house, kaput after the first huff. Second pig, stick house, huff puff, gone. Third pig, house of bricks, huff puff, huff puff, huff puff....nada. The wolf is still blowing for all I know. The moral of the story is that if you build your house of bricks it won't be blown down by a big ugly rabid dog.



The obvious metaphor to life aside, is there real a reason why we don't build our homes out of straw? Sometimes in life you need to think outside of the box to truly see what opportunities exist. Here is an example from a friend of mine:


As I continue to explore the feasibility of building a straw-bale house , I want to plant a seed/paint a picture. Think of the barn-raising scene from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Now see yourself in the picture, only you're hoisting straw bales into position in between dances. Or, allowing for bad backs, administering water or prepping the BBQ for any other free labor I can wrangle. Think of it as an eco-friendly weight resistance workout.



There is a huge part of me that wants this plan to come to fruition. I'd love to be able to dance around the bails as each block is stacked. I think the plans look great and there is something truly liberating about the idea of moving to a town where this idea would be feasible. But at the end of the day, I think I might not be able to be that little pig. I guess I would always wonder about the big bad wolf and when I could expect my house to come down.

No comments: