Wednesday, July 13, 2005

sleeping outside in a bag as a kid ….

it seems like the best thing that I ever did....

Growing up one of my favorite summer activities was sleeping outside with my best friend. Looking back, I am not sure how often this adventure took place but I do remember with great clarity the way the air smelled like freshly cut hay and thunderstorms, the way the sky lit up with more stars than can be seen in every city in the world combined, and the silence of a small town at night.

When I went away to college, my friend and I spent our first night sleeping outside. Although most people would qualify my college town as being a small town, I remember the noise from the traffic, the sounds of the neighbors, and the buzz of the street lights as being deafening. Unfortunately, I think that was the last time I slept outside. While I have frequently considered pulling out the blankets and pillows onto the deck on a warm summer night – it just doesn’t seem to hold the same magic.

Last night I spoke with my niece on the phone. She too is growing up in a small town and enjoying all of the freedoms of summer. As we talked about my upcoming visit, she shared her excitement in having a “camp out” in the backyard – maybe even a sleep over. I think I’ll join her under the stars. We’ll head to our “camp” about 9pm, tell stories until 10 and then around 11:30 I am guessing it will be time to head inside, just like when I was a kid.
I can’t wait !

1 comment:

thestraightpoop said...

I LOVE this post!! I am a farm girl, and we would get so excited for spring/summer camping trips that before and sometimes after, we'd sleep in the tent in the back yard. It was always nice too because we could sneak inside the house in the middle of the night if we got scared, lonely, or cold. I can't wait until my niece and nephew are old enough to share this with!!

(And hey, thanks for linking to creativequeen.com, my web site! Much appreciated.)